Summer Training + More 2017
Post date: May 21, 2017 7:09:09 PM
Hello runners! As summer is coming up and we’re going to have new and returning runners joining the program, I figured I should write a post to let everyone know what’s happening in the coming weeks.
JV/Varsity and Rec groups
First, varsity is going to become more competitive this year as we’ll have returning runners ready to train hard and some new speedy freshmen. Additionally, the number of recreational runners is expanding. This year, we’ll be dividing the team into two main groups in order to make sure we can accommodate everyone. We’ll warm up and cool down together as a team, but the workouts will look different.
- Recreational: We’re going to have a rec group for everyone who wants to come out to run Cross Country as a way to train, to get in shape, or have fun. We love having these runners on our team, and we’ll have different workouts for this group to make sure they can get what they want out of practice.
- Competitive: On the other hand, our competitive workouts will be more controlled and structured. Runners in the competitive group train to compete at meets, and we’ll be keeping track of their times to give them paces during workouts. Expect a full training regimen as part of this group and to come to practice and work hard. This group will be further subdivided into two groups but with the same workouts:
- Varsity: Varsity runners, and those on the cusp of varsity, will do the harder version of each workout. This might mean more repetitions, longer distance, or a faster pace. We will consistently expect hard work at practice and a good attitude toward teammates. Special uniforms will be awarded to varsity runners, and they should serve as role models for the rest of the team.
- JV: Recreational runners that have an interest in competing and runners who want to compete without the commitment of the varsity group are welcome to join the JV group. JV will have an easier form of the workout and will train with the varsity group.
And that gets us to…
Summer Training and Varsity tryouts!
This summer, like the last, we will have optional workouts at Austin High and long runs meeting at Barton Springs pool. These will start on June 5th the first week of summer, and continue up until school starts. Check the Calendar page to stay up to date.
- Workouts: Monday and Wednesday at Austin High from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm.
- For some of these workouts, we will run on the trail right next to the school. It might be a good idea to bring a phone because, given we’re all in different shape, we’ll likely split into groups. Every group must have a phone on them.
- Long Runs: Saturdays meeting at Barton Springs at 6:45 am.
- After we run, we’ll hop into Barton Springs pool while it’s still free and we’ll usually go out to breakfast afterward somewhere around, so it might a good idea to bring a towel, or an extra shirt to change into. Also, bring money if you would like to have breakfast. If you don’t want to attend breakfast or hop in the pool, you’re welcome to leave at 7:30 to 7:45, when you get back from your run. For transportation to breakfast, captains and other runners can drive to breakfast. If necessary, you should get parental permission before getting in anyone’s car. The drivers will not be liable for driving someone without permission, so please tell your driver if you need an alternate method of transportation.
As an effect of increased competitiveness on the varsity team, completing a tryout will be necessary to run on varsity. The reason this is important now is that in order to run varsity, regular attendance at summer practices or participation in an approved training group will be a key factor in making the varsity team. The tryout will take place in the first or second week of school and will consist of 8 laps on the track (3200m/2mi), so work over the summer will be necessary to run on varsity.
That’s all for now. Thanks for running LBJXC!